OTTAWA ABORIGINAL COALITION
Residential Support Worker - Female
November 8, 2021
RESIDENTIAL SUPPORT WORKER – Female
OSHKI KIZIS LODGE
(Relying of provisions of Section 23 of the Ontario Human Rights Code)
Minwaashin Lodge – Indigenous Women’s Support Centre is a non-profit agency serving First Nations, Métis, Inuit and non-status Indigenous women, youth and children.
The Residential Support Worker will support the Assistant to the Shelter Director. This position is under the supervision of the Shelter Director-Oshki Kizis Lodge. The Residential Support Workers are responsible for providing culturally appropriate, safe space for women and children within a Violence Against Women specific shelter and the efficient operation of a 24-hour crisis line.
▪ Responding to the Crisis Line and providing support and crisis intervention to callers that is timely and appropriate
▪ Will be responsible for additional administrative duties.
▪ Supporting women and children in acquiring safe accommodations
▪ Create and maintain a safe, welcoming environment for mothers and children
▪ Create and maintain an environment that provides for the emotional and practicalsupport to women and children who have experienced violence in their lives
▪ Responding appropriately to crisis following policies and procedure andcompletion of follow-up
▪ Providing intake and assessment for women who require safe housing
▪ Supporting women in finding alternate housing when Oshki Kizis is full
▪ Monitoring house security systems, and controlled access to the house
▪ Supporting residents in communal living expectations / requirements
▪ Assisting in the implementation of programs and services that honors cultural andindividual needs, promotes safety and healing from the effects of violence
▪ Seek new ways of improving Oshki Kizis Lodge programs and services based onfeedback from residents and / or co-workers, innovations in the field, and inputfrom other agencies or training programs
▪ Appropriate, accurate and professional sharing of information through shiftexchange and daily logging.
▪ Minimum – Post Secondary School Graduation
▪ Experience working in a women’s shelter
▪ A working knowledge of traditional Indigenous healing practices
▪ Knowledge of the direct and intergenerational impacts of oppression, colonization and residential school abuse
▪ A cultural and gender analysis of the effects of violence against women and the impact on their children
▪ Knowledge of the affects of trauma
▪ A commitment to working in an environment that recognizes the diverse needsand gifts of women and children
▪ Ability to actively listen, be empathetic and the ability to empower and supportwomen
▪ A commitment to working in a fast paced, time- sensitive, and confidentialenvironment
▪ Must be energetic, creative, resourceful and committed to working as a teammember
▪ A commitment to working in an environment that is non-violent, anti-racist, anti-oppressive and values all women.
▪ Indigenous descent preferred
▪ Current Criminal Records Check
▪ First Aid/CPR
▪ Excellent verbal and written communication skills
▪ Excellent computer and spreadsheet skills
Salary: $21.62 per hour
Start Date: ASAP
Send cover letter, a complete resume with 3 references to – Kate Holden-Human Resources - Minwaashin Lodge, 100- 1155 Lola Street Ottawa ON K1K 4C1 or email to: email@example.com
We thank all those who apply, but due to the number of applications we receive, we are able to contact only those being considered for an interview.